Calling all procrastinators: it’s not too late to put together your Halloween costume! You can make this monster costume with a quick trip to the craft store and about an hour of time:
So let’s get to it!! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Googly eyes (2 extra large and one bag of 1/2 inch ones)
- Super Glue
- White contact paper or masking tape
- Scrap fabric in a plain color (I used black faux leather)
- Duct tape
- Velcro circles
- White computer paper for tracing
- Fabric scissors
- Dress or t shirt
- Pocketbook (preferably made of a smooth material such as leather)
To make the ankle accessories:
- Measure the width of your ankles where you want the anklet to rest.
- On a sheet of blank computer paper, make a rectangle that is the length of your ankle measurement plus 1″ long by 2″ tall. Make a line right through the middle the long way so that you have two 1″ sections.
- Next, on the line going through the middle of the rectangle, make small marks every 1″ for the entire length. On the bottom line of the rectangle, start 1/2″ from the edge and then make small marks every 1″ for the entire length. These will be the markers for your monster “teeth”.
- Now draw diagonal lines connecting the top marks to the bottom marks
- Cut out your pattern and trace it onto the wrong side of your fabric two times, one for each ankle. Cut out fabric.
- Using the crazy glue, attach one googly eye roughly centered over each “tooth”, leaving the last tooth empty.
- Attach your Velcro circle onto the last tooth, putting the corresponding half of it on the back of the first tooth. I ended up using two Velcro circles because mine were so teeny tiny.
- Voila! Now part one of your costume is complete!
For your dress/shirt and your pocket book, simply attach the googly eyes using duct tape (use the giant ones for your dress/shirt). For the mouth and eyebrows, I just drew rough sketches on my white contact paper and cut those out. I guess you could say that I googly-eyeballed my measurements (haha I apologize I am such a dork.) Peel off the back of contact paper and stick them right on to your dress/shirt and bag! If you are using masking tape rather than contact paper, you could make your mouth more like this:
Of course, if you are super duper pressed for time you could skip the whole ankle teeth part and simply slap some googly eyes and a monster mouth on your dress and call it a day. I hope you enjoyed this post, I would love to hear about any last minute costumes you’ve pulled together! Happy Halloween!!